Academic Year and Language of Instruction in Russia
The School Academic Year in Russia starts from 1 September and lasts till end of May. Month of June is examination month in general. The examination timeline depends of level of education year and course requirements.
Generally, a school year is divided over three trimesters: autumn, winter and spring. At the end of each trimester, a written test decides on the grades for that term.
All public school in Russia follows holiday dates according to schedule declared by Ministry of Education. However, public schools may differ in some cases. Some of the common holidays in Russian Schools are given below.
- Autumn (Fall) Holidays – usually 8 days in November
- Winter Holidays – usually 12-15 days in December/January
- Spring Holidays – usually 8 days in March
- Summer Holidays – usually mid-June to the end of August
- Grade 1 children have an additional five days of holiday in February.
The school week runs from Monday to Friday. Private schools also follow this schedule School Hours vary from school to school, but are usually from between 08:00 and 09:00 to 14:00 or 15:00.
In the Higher Education System in Russia academic year is generally divided over two semesters:
- First Semester starts on September 1 every year.
- Second Semester starts on February 1 every year.
- Each term lasts for 20 weeks, its 9th and 18th weeks are intended for module testing, the 10th and 20th weeks – for semester testing.
The language of academic instruction is Russian in all state-accredited educational institutions, except in pre-schools. However, there are also innumerable schools those delivers classes in English and also teaches many other foreign languages.
Similarly, the language of instruction in Higher Education is both Russian and English. Also there are many study programmes offered in many other foreign languages.