Academic Grading in Russia
In the education system of the Russian Federation performance of students is indicated by numbered grades. Academic Grades on a student marksheet/certificate of School, College of University education show the level of performance in the given year and class. The academic grading system in Russia is shown below on a Scale of 1 to 5.
- 5: "Excellent" (Russian пять [ˈpʲ�tʲ], отлично [ɐtʲˈlʲitɕnɐ]), indicates highest distinction and excellent knowledge of a subject
- 4: "Good" (Russian четыре [tɕɪˈtɨrʲɪ], хорошо [xərɐˈʂo]), indicates good knowledge of a subject
- 3: "Satisfactory" (Russian три [ˈtrʲi], удовлетворительно [ʊdəvlʲɪtvɐˈrʲitʲɪlʲnə]), sometimes translated as "Fair", indicates a creditable or passing grade
- 2: "Unsatisfactory" (Russian два [ˈdva], неудовлетворительно, abbr. "неуд" [ˈnʲɛʊt]), indicates limited knowledge of a subject, below average, the first level of failing
- 1: "Very Poor" (Russian единица, очень плохо), the lowest possible grade, indicates complete failure, and is very rarely used