Structure of Education System in Russia
The education system of Russia includes 2 types of education: General and Professional.
General Education System: This system has the following levels:
- Preschool education (level 0 according to ISCED)
- Primary general education (level 1 according to ISCED) – the duration of study is 4 years
- Basic general education (level 2 according to ISCED) – the duration of study is 5 years
- Secondary general education (level 3 according to ISCED) – the duration of study is 2 years
- Also there is an additional general education i.e. school-based study groups and clubs.
Professional Education: This system has the following levels:
Training for various professions: This is offered on the basis of basic general education; the course duration depends on type of professional training and completes in few months.
Vocational Education: This level of educations is offered on the basis of general education basic or secondary. Generally, course duration is 3 years (on the basis of secondary general education) or 4 years (on the basis of basic general education.
Higher Education System in Russia
At the higher education level following type of study programmes are offered in Russia:
- Bachelor’s Degree: Generally study duration is 4 years. Students who successfully completes K-12 level of education are eligible.
- Specialist Degree: This refers to professional programmes like Engineering and Medicine etc. Course duration may be 5/6 years. Study duration depends on type of major taken.
- Master’s Degree: Generally study duration is 2 years. Candidates with a bachelor's degree are eligible for enrollment.
- Postgraduate Education: This includes graduate school, residency in medicine, assistantship in the field of art, adjunctura in the field of military science. For admission candidates need to have specialist degree or master’s degree. The study duration duration varies from 2 to 4 years depending on academic requirements.
Also there is offered additional professional education. Graduates of institutions of vocational or higher education are eligible for enrollment.